Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Wheels make the wool go 'round

So my friend Jessica and I took a spinning class last fall. Not one of those exercise-y spinning classes (have you seen me lately?), but a yarn spinning class. Can I say it was just wonderful?! Anyway, this led Jess and I on a quest for wheels of our own. We have two things happening now.

First, I bought a pattern on a "no lathe Saxony style wheel" and gave it to a woodworking friend with the promise of a knitterly payback.

Second, I called my dad in New Zealand (land of wool and wheels) and got him looking on TradeMe for used Ashford wheels.

Success!

Both avenues are paying off. It looks like Jess and I will have custom crafted wheels from our friend as well as a traditional wheel from NZ.

This multiple wheel situation (which is f'ing awesome) has led my hubby to ask...."How many wheels do you NEED.?" Good question. I say many. I mean, how many video game consoles does HE need? Anyway, I have already mentally rearranged my dining room to accommodate the wheels. Expect to hear more on the wheels as the year goes on.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They both look so pretty. I might just have to take up spinning...

Lara said...

Cool! Spinning is the trend that is sweeping the nation. Or, um, the KIP group. Sally and I both got new wheels recently, too. Have fun!

(My husband has a silly number of video game consoles, too. Spinning wheels are way cooler-looking.)

Anonymous said...

I work with a lady who raises and shears Alpaca's. Here's the link to see the yarn she has for sale.
http://www.alpacanation.com/alpaca-products/alpaca-products-retail-2.asp?level=category&name=Other&cat=10263.
You might be able to get some raw wool & spin it yourself (& save some money) if you're interested.

Uncle Kent

Jessica Mounts said...

I can't freaking wait ;)

Jamie said...

I never thought I would read a comparison between spinning wheels and video game consoles, but there it is. Such is modern life, I suppose.