Thursday, January 10, 2008

Off to a good start

So far I think 2008 looks promising. Why? I have dropped very few stitches in my knitting. Okay, that's really not the only reason why, but it does add to the cumulative good-feeling effect.

School starts up again on the 14th and this semester I'm taking Interpretive Research and Evaluation. Eeek! I have never been very good at pacing myself through research but if I'm going to get through a thesis, I better learn. This is the only class I'm taking though this semester so my plan is not to get overwhelmed - we'll see how that works out.

NAI, the National Association of Interpretation, recommended the MSRI program as a good fit for my grad school experience - I'm "settled" and can't go back to traditional, on-campus college life. The program is based in TX, was designed originally for National Park Service folks, and is offered on-line. I was very wary of an on-line program but this one is legit. It is also kickin' my butt! And lastly, as it is out of TX, it means out-of-state tuition. Sigh.

Last December, I applied for NAI Region 6's 2008 Freeman Tilden Scholarship. As Region 6 is made up of KS, MO, AR, OK, TX, and LA, and there was only one graduate scholarship being awarded, I was not optimistic. Two nights ago though, I got the call! Yee-haw! Its not huge $$$ but it will get half of my semester. Plus I get to go to the Regional Conference in Tulsa!!!

Anywho, that and some other things that I'm working on lead me to think it might be a pretty good year. We'll see how it plays out.

On a knitting note, I am tackling the "Sock for Veronik" with the sweet-as yarn that I got with my Twistmas discount...see previous post. I'm sticking in the picture from the Interweave Knits pattern as well as my little beginnings.

3 comments:

Jessica Mounts said...

Congratulations on the scholarship! Have a great weekend...

Jamie said...

Go Libby! Way to get the dough! I'm thiking 2008 is going to be good as well. :-)

Molly said...

First off, way to go on the scholarship, seriously! Hip hip hoooray! Second, are you changing schools? I didn't understand that bit! Third, I loved those socks when I saw the pattern, and I love Veronik Avery, so it's all good! Can't wait to see the finished project. Much love and encouraging vibes headed your way - you so can do this.