Saturday, November 12, 2005

Give A Girl A Chance

A beautiful Saturday afternoon in Kansas (a little windy, but still nice) and I am at work. Poop, poop, poopie, poop. Its my own fault for being nice. One of the guys who helped build the WATER Center needed a venue for his son's wedding. The bride is a few months pregnant and they are financially strapped, etc. What's a girl to do? I'm just too nice sometimes.

I do have to say that I really feel for the bride. She is young and beautiful and probably deserves more than what she is going to start off with. At 1:00 (wedding is at 3), she was the only one here. She was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and setting up all the tables and chairs by herself. Her friends that were supposed to meet her decided to go out to eat instead. So picture this: a young woman (maybe 20-ish), four months pregnant, two hours before her wedding trying to pull everything together. She was amazingly calm. I wish her the best of luck and hope that she can keep that kind of strength, focus and determination through out the rest of her life.
.............................................

2:45: Well, the wedding guests are starting to arrive and its getting a little wild. It very windy outside so everyone is congregating inside the building and the set-up crew (that finally arrived) is still setting up the reception area. Note to self: weddings are insane, make sure to elope in next life.
............................................
3:30: The 3:00 wedding finally started and in about five minutes it was over. What is the status on the bride? Poor thing, as soon as she hit the wind, her veil blew off and into the fountains. I'm sure she is probably about ready to collapse with emotion and stress.
..............................................
Reception: (Is it totally wrong that I'm craving some of that cake???) Everyone has been seated, there is music in the background, cheese, veggies, and crackers for snacks, and things seem to be going okay. **I have only managed to knit one row during all of this (why do I even bring it?).
Yea...I finally weaseled in and snagged some wedding cake!
5:00: Many of the guests have already left, the cake has been eaten, the snacks are gone and the bride and groom are opening prezzies. The bride was sweet enough to come find me in my office to ask what time they needed to leave--she was afraid she had overstayed her time.
Well, I think they are starting to break things down. I can smell candle smoke and the noise level is dimished. My accomplishments for today: two "sets" of rows done on Molly's scarf (the scarf that won't die--been working on it since August) and the realization that there are amazingly strong women out there whoface struggles that I cannot begin to imagine.
Best wishes to all the girls out there--keep your head up and grab life by the ________ (you fill in the blank!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Libby,
What a wedding that must have been and my heart went out to the bride. Where was family and friends, even the groom. Don't you just wonder at people? Ah well. Your weekend sounded exciting and exhausting! I guess I hadn't realized that Cottonwood Adventures was progressing as well as it is. Good for you and Jan. The Great White Hunters have all be gone for a while now so are probably home. Sounds as if they had a good time. This blog stuff is kind of fun!