Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Reality Check

Yesterday was a planning meeting on our foster care case. The birth family is working very hard and desperate to have their son back. I don't blame them at all! They have a lot of work to do with classes, parenting trainings, and visitations. Best case scenario, it will be January when the little guy goes home.

Pat and I are working to adapt our mindset to the temporary nature of this placement. There is still a chance that the case may go to adoption, but in my opinion, it is unlikely. We will just enjoy the time we have with the baby and keep working with him so that he reaches the milestones and gains the skills that he needs to be a healthy toddler.

I appreciate SO MUCH all the support we are getting from family and friends. This is a hard, hard process but we believe we are safe, healthy, bright spot in this child's life (and for future placements too). We go back and forth on whether we will try again to have a family via foster care. Its a gamble.

3 comments:

Jessica Mounts said...

Libby, you and Pat are an inspiration. I hope you know how much I truly mean that.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how much better that little chap's life will be just for his time with you guys. I feel like a better person after being with you for an hour!

Anonymous said...

I know we don't get together nearly as often as we should but please know that we love you & want to support you guys any way we can.

Kent & family